Composed and shared by Ceduna Old Photos, Sue Trewartha and Erica Bodger.
Allan Chadwick wrote in “The Real Australian”, June 1959, the 21st anniversary of the commencement of the Flying Medical Service by the Bush Church Aid Society, some history of the service. Ceduna was chosen because of its central location and because it had a large hospital, doctors, a pharmacy, aerodrome with refueling facilities, a shipping port and later a weather station. There were established communication links with Adelaide by road, boat, rail and by air, also linking into the air service to Perth. From 1925, when BCA undertook to staff its first mission hospital in response to a request from the residents of Ceduna district, medical work grew quickly and in 1927 a hospital was opened in Penong, 1937 in Cook and 1938, one at Koonibba.
Clinic day at the new Tarcoola Hospital. (Photo from Mac Job, Pilot)
Consulting room at Kingoonya. Mac Job, Pilot.
Flying Doctor, pilot, Mac Job, at Koonibba.
Penong Hospital view from the airport. Pilot Mac Job.