Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this site may contain images or names of people who have since passed away.
Composed and shared by Ceduna Old Photos, Sue Trewartha and Erica Bodger.
August 1914. Advertiser. The mission station burns its own lime, the kiln situated a mile from the homesteads. There is also a brick machine and both lime and bricks have been made for the buildings already erected. The mission farm was first established in 1900 when Mr Panach worked there on behalf of the Lutheran Synod. Two years later Pastor C Wiebusch took charge of the mission.
The school, originally used as a church, was built 11 years ago by Jimmy Richards, an aborigine, who was the first to be baptised at Koonibba. Other buildings are a teacher’s residence of six rooms, and a house for the farm manager. A native dining room where about 70 aborigines receive food, Miss Gramp in charge of the kitchen. There are four houses, a store and a donation depot, looked after by Miss Schmidt who is the tailoress in charge of manufacture of clothing. The mission station is well supplied with sheds of every description substantially built of iron. There are implement, chaff and wheat sheds, blacksmith shop and an oil and paint shop and timber shed.