Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this site may contain images or names of people who have since passed away.
Composed and shared by Ceduna Old Photos, Sue Trewartha and Erica Bodger.
In 1913, a much needed Children’s Home was completed and opened on 9 Nov 1913, at a cost of £1429. By 1914, 30 aboriginal children were living at the Home. This splendid structure consisted of 14 rooms of various dimensions and was to be a home for all the native children. The bigger girls did the cooking, washing and sewing, under the very able leadership of Miss von Einem, who was matron for quite a number of years. The opening ceremony of this fine building took place on the afternoon of 9 Nov 1913. In the morning a large number of people had congregated to witness the baptising of 10 catechumens who had been duly instructed. For far and near they came to witness this solemn scene, and after lunch they all adjourned to the Children’s Home to attend the dedication.
Photos from the Children’s Home