COUNCIL IS FORMED.
Composed and shared by Ceduna Old Photos, Sue Trewartha and Erica Bodger.
Snippets from the West Coast Sentinel
WCS. 1924. CEDUNA, March 8. Movements are on foot to request the Government to form a district council for the towns of Ceduna (Murat Bay) and Thevenard and the surrounding district. Meetings have been held in both towns to discuss the matter, and favourable solutions have been carried in both towns. The first meeting was held at Ceduna on Tuesday afternoon, when Mr WT Aying (Inspector of Roads and Bridges) attended. Mr Frank Betts presided. Mr Ayling explained the advantage to be gained by the formation of a council. On the motion of Mr HA Betts of Ceduna, seconded by Mr Hoobin, and supported by Mr Blumson it was resolved that the government be asked to form a District Council of Ceduna. .. comprising the town of Thevenard and taking in the County of Way, comprising the following hundreds: Wallenippie, Blacker, Horn, Catt, O’Loughlin, Moule, Goode. Bonython, Wandana, Guthrie.
WCS. 8 August 1925. District Council of Ceduna. It was decided to rent the room available for the District Council office at the Ceduna Memorial Hall for 12 months at a rental of 20/- a week. Moved Cr Hughes that the application of Mr Chas M Adey for the position of District Clerk and Overseer of Works be accepted at a salary of 300 pounds per year, moved that the District Clerk be Health Inspector at a wage of 10 pounds per year.
This photo of the Memorial Hall shows the window on the right with the wording œDistrict Council Office on the window. Meetings were held in the Hall until the Council Chambers were built.