Composed and shared by Ceduna Old Photos, Sue Trewartha and Erica Bodger.
WCS 9 June 1948. Ever since the departure of Mr HC Sherman on his enlistment, Ceduna has been without a chemist. The BCA has now filled this need by re-opening the pharmacy and has installed its own chemist, Miss Page, in the same building that Mr Sherman used. This is another debt we owe to BCA which comes to our aid on so many occasions.
It was after Dr Roy Gibson trod on a death adder and became critically ill, was nursed then later became progressively worse, that it was seen to be necessary to have a pharmacist take on the role of stocking and dispensing drugs. BCA were able to lease an unused shop on the corner of Poynton and McKenzie Streets and installed power and light, and a sink, bench and makeshift shelves made from packing cases enabled the humble start of the Ceduna Pharmacy!
Esma ran the Pharmacy for nine years, was captain of Girl Guides and taught Sunday School at Thevenard. Esma played the organ at Ceduna and some country services. BCA ran the pharmacy until it sold as a going concern in 1967.
Esma Job with son Peter on the right.
Esma and Mac Job, 2009, visit the Ceduna Hospital, inspecting the original entrance area of the Hospital. Many memories for them. They also took the opportunity to visit the Denial Bay beach and have a picnic lunch. It was revealed that on that very day, it was 55 years since they had started ‘going out’ at a Church picnic at Denial Bay. They were visiting for the 100 years of the Anglican Church celebrations.