A lovely view from the jetty of the Ceduna Hotel, note the tennis courts. Around 1953ish, Mort Smith planted the pine trees.
Con Donovan, Hotel gardener and handyman. It is believed that Con had ‘jumped ship’ and stayed in Ceduna, working at the hotel for many years. He is buried in Ceduna cemetery. thanks to Mark Bedson for these photos.
Con Donovan, gardener and handyman at the Hotel, 1930. A big thank you to Mark Bedson for these photos of the hotel from the time his grandfather, Neil Bedson, was manager of the hotel.
Love this and the next photo, of Con Donovan preparing the land to the north of the Ceduna Hotel for a tennis court around 1930s. This is right on the corner of McKenzie St and O’Loughlin Tce. Tennis courts were used regularly and tournaments were often held there, especially over Easter. Mr Barry Kelly remembered that “the tennis courts were first used mainly for guests, however the locals, people like myself, Kev McMahon, Muriel McGuinness played many games there over the weekends. There were even overhead lights there, a rare treat for us.” The end of the courts came about in 1957 when the Main Bar was extended.
HISTORY BITS AND PIECES Some stories and photos of our district by Sue Trewartha and Erica Bodger. See Ceduna Old Photos on Facebook for more local history and photos.